GYTABIA funding applications for events which were approved for 2016/2017 by the Board were :
Hemsby Firework Displays – 1 display Sunday May 28th and a further 6 displays on a Tuesday evening from July 25th through to August 29th. Hemsby reports a massive increase in footfall during the firework displays – James Gray – Lost World
Martham Scarecrow Festival 30th April & 1st May 2017 – A community village activity providing the chance for residents and visitors to join in with the various activities centred around the scarecrow theme. Julie from Martham Scarecrow group said “Support for a Martham Scarecrow Festival has received BID funding for the past 2 years. the funding has enabled us to advertise the event both within the village and in the borough”
Caister Village Experience 25th June 2017 Caister Playing Field – A hoped to be annual festival featuring a procession, carnival queen, poultry & pet show and lots more.
Great Yarmouth Fireworks 2017 – 6 displays on a Wednesday evening 19th July – 30th August and 1 on 26th October plus accompanying roadshow and publicity.
Wheels Festival 8th & 9th July 2017 – A ‘wheels’ based festival showcasing a wide variety of motorised and pedal driven vehicles located along the length of Great Yarmouth seafront.
Gorleston Clifftop Festival – 29th – 30th July 2017 – Free family orientated festival with live music, stalls and activities on Gorleston Clifftop. GYTABIA to fund the fireworks at the close of the festival. The festival brings everyone in the community together and attracts people from further afield and raises the profile of Gorleston year on year.
Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival 9th & 10th September 2017 – A celebration of the rich maritime heritage of the Borough incorporating visiting vessels, maritime music, food and crafts.
Out There Festival 16th & 17th September 2017 – A fabulous off the wall festival with a circus flavour.
New ideas are the lifeblood of the events calendar. However the ‘ideas’ phase is often the easy bit! All events have to go through a rigorous scrutiny process based on the following criteria:-
1. How will this event impact on existing and new visitors? Ie will in bring new visitors to the Borough or merely move visitors from one area of the Borough to another?
2. Are we getting visitors to come the event or are we taking an event to the visitors? Ie where is the best site for a particular event?
3. Does the event stack up financially? Does the event generate any income to offset the cost?
4. Is the event a ‘one-off’ or does it have the potential to become a self-sustaining annual event.
5. Who will ‘champion’ the development of the event and what support is the ‘champion’ going to need?
6. Who will actually stage the event – ie translate the ideas into an actual event?
Funding aapplications for the 2017/2018 financial year are being accepted for presentation to the board later in 2017. If you have any ideas for events that you would like to put forward to the Board for consideration please download the funding application form below and submit to
Karen Youngs, Maritime House, 25 Marine Parade, Great Yarmouth NR30 2EN