As the Destination Management Organisation for the Greater Yarmouth Area, Marketing has been, and is a key component of our activities.
The Visit Great Yarmouth Marketing Group firmly believes in the bigger picture with collective marketing of the destination of Greater Yarmouth as a whole. This is critical as the borough stretches from Winterton in the North to Hopton in the South from Great Yarmouth in the east to Stokesby in the west. We need to reassure visitors that the area has everything they could want or need on holiday, from seaside to countryside, broads, beaches and tourist attractions and from theme parks to water sport activities with shops, restaurants, cafés and pubs as well as a good range of evening entertainment and quality accommodation to choose from. In addition to raising awareness of the whole borough as a fantastic holiday and day trip destination we endeavour to attract new visitors and boost the local economy and we also encourage and engage with local people to use local services.
Visit Great Yarmouth – The Greater Yarmouth Brand
Great Yarmouth has a strong core product, strong brand and the strongest external image within Norfolk as evidenced by recent research carried out by VisitNorfolk. Further to extensive research benchmarking the borough for both tourism and business purposes, the Marketing Group developed and regularly updates the Greater Yarmouth Brand Essence Wheel, a brand model which is used as the basis for our campaigns so that at all times we present a consistent message via the chosen media. In Autumn 2020, GYTABIA board approved plans to begin to using Visit Great Yarmouth as our customer facing brand.
We promote Great Yarmouth as the premier holiday resort on the Norfolk coast, a traditional but modern, upbeat beach holiday resort surrounded by broads and countryside with a range of quality accommodation, restaurants, cafes, pubs, shops and attractions.
Our marketing campaigns will aim at attracting our traditional C1C2DE empty nesters and the C1C2DE family school holiday market which is the cornerstone of the borough’s customer base and tourism spend but we are also looking for opportunities to increase visitor numbers, by type and spend by focussing on new target markets. We do this by capitalising on the fun, easy going, relaxed nature of the borough, creating a vibrant destination where people of all ages enjoy taking holidays and short breaks.
Covid has created unprecedented times, and Destination marketing has certainly been impacted. While Covid is still present our marketing plans must remain adaptable, scalable and flexible in order to meet the ever changing covid situation.
Schools in the recent past have issued tighter rules about allowing children to holiday within term time, to compensate for this we target growth in new markets outside of the July and August school summer holiday peak. To achieve this we work together with businesses in Greater Yarmouth to develop our overall product and ensure it is attractive to a different audience and that the holiday experience exceeds our visitor’s expectations. Complacency could result in a continual slow decline of the tourism sector.
We plan to target alternative, sustainable visitor growth in off peak and shoulder periods, in particular May, June and early July as well as late September and October using promotions focusing on food and drink, heritage, broads and countryside. The long-term aim is for year-round tourism spend, generating higher tourism spend in the accommodation, attractions, retail and dining sectors.
The Visit Great Yarmouth Marketing group, (which is made up of industry representatives from GYTABIA) is developing a major marketing campaign for 2021, which is being developed to be flexible around covid. Primary focus will be on National, Regional and Local PR, National Press Visits, National Competitions, as well as working closely with Bloggers and Influencers. We have also produced a range of promotional videos.
We had planned a comprehensive marketing campaign to market the borough, however in March 2020 following the arrival of covid, almost all the plans were initially paused, then postponed. We focused on PR activities and as a result have received over £1,200,000 worth of media coverage in 2020 across a wide range of national titles.
Marketing Highlights 2014-2019
- TV Campaigns – GYTABIA have worked closely with GYBC to deliver a number of TV Campaigns.
- Digital Campaign in partnership with Visit England
- Full Campaign in support of Haven Great Yarmouth Airshow 2018 inc radio, on line, bus advertising and souvenir guide, plus marketing support for all other events. All campaigns such as the Haven Great Yarmouth Airshow and the Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival have been backed up on the Facebook page and other social media channels
- We have also worked closely with TMS Media to find new stories and push out new media releases about Greater Yarmouth
- Development of 70 second ‘webisodes’
- We have worked with Visit England to promote Greater Yarmouth and the borough as an all round resort targeting families, with an online campaign and a national radio campaign on Global radio
- We have also worked with Visit England on their #RealTimeTravelGuide, a website which gathers our tweets and broadcasts them to people looking for certain types of holiday
- We sponsored the weather on Heart radio in Essex, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
- We worked with over 50 bloggers to run a social media campaign/competition and offered one lucky winner the chance to win an amazing holiday for up to 8 people staying at Haven Seashore holiday park
If you have any queries about marketing please email us at email@example.com